Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Home Sweet Home - Installed the HOME switches and tested them.

I am really excited about today's post. I've had the milling machine since about 2001 or so... and this is the first time I have completely retrofit it with a full set of automatic homing switches. I got some magnetic sensors which are impervious to dust, moisture, noise, and all the other "stuff" that usually would interfere with being highly accurate.

I can now tell the machine to find "HOME" and it will automatically move to the proper locations... not only that... but it has an amazing accuracy of about 1/75,000 inch or so.

That's 0.00075 inch or about 0,01905 mm give or take... a piece of paper is 0.003 inch. (0,0762mm)

I was hoping to get it within 1/1000 of an inch... so I'm very happy with this!!!


Video - Home Sweet Home - January 6th, 2015

Be sure to leave a comment!

5 comments:

  1. Have you measured the backlash? IE go out an inch, back 1.5 and out 0.5 and see if that's hitting the same spot as when you go out 4 and back 4.

    TomD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool ! I hope I get to talk with you about this sometime. Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I noticed the comments... any time you want to chat look me up on Google hangouts or send an email to jerryarutherford(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll get back to you.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I am retrofitting an old Anilam CrusaderII with servo motors, which had limits switches, but no homing, so your info has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep watching... I'm doing even more updates. I am also putting all the info here: http://askjerry.info click on the CNC tab from there.

      Delete